What is Fluent Forever?
A language-learning company developed by Gabriel Wyner, an opera singer who needed to learn multiple languages quickly and retain them forever. Fluent Forever's products have evolved from pronunciation trainers into a bestselling book and now into the most crowdfunded smartphone app in history.
How does Fluent Forever work?
Fluent Forever's method is based on the principles of personalized flashcard creation and spaced repetition, extremely powerful learning tools that optimize your brain’s memory abilities. For more, check out our Method page.
What is the Four Step Method?
First, you train your ears with pronunciation lessons. Next, you learn the most frequently used words in your target language. Then, you'll learn grammar naturally through stories. Finally, you'll practice your speech with native tutors. For more, check out our Method page.
How much does it cost to use Fluent Forever?
It depends! To learn with our book, visit our Book page for pricing by format. To learn with our legacy tools, visit our Shop page for pricing by product. To learn with our smartphone app, visit our App page for subscription pricing ($9.99/mo, discounted long-term plans available).
Indiegogo and Kickstarter backers can play with our beta! Install it, report issues, demo vs. beta vs. retail...
Known bugs (August Beta)
- Why are the image selection suggestions not always that good?
- Why does the "Popular Images" results include inappropriate content?
- Why are the back and cancel button not back-ing and cancelling?
- Why are images taking so long to load?
- SOLVED: Why do flashcards I made with the app disappear?
- How can I sync my progress between different devices?
- See all 7 articles
Invite emails and Installation with HockeyApp
- Fluent Forever Official Beta App Installation Guide for Android and iOS
- What can I do if I deleted or never received the HockeyApp invite?
- If I don't download the beta, will you still notify me when the app is released in full?
- ANDROID Beta installation guide
- IPHONE beta installation guide
- Why is your app untrusted and how do I solve it?
- See all 11 articles
Differences between the demo and the beta/release versions of the app
- Why are only a couple of the languages promised available in the beta?
- What are the differences between the beta and the final version of Fluent Forever App?
- Can I use the app to learn the genders along with my nouns?
- Can I add more than one image to my flashcards?
- Can I add my own words and sentences to the beta?
- Why is there English in the beta?
- See all 15 articles
Known mistakes in the Spanish language content/sentences/words!
Known bugs (June/July Demo)
You've heard that we are building an app and have questions. You've come to the right place.
What About Anki?
The Fluent Forever App Subscription FAQs
- What are the differences between the single language and multiple language pledges and the retail subscriptions?
- Do I need a subscription to review my old flashcards?
- Do I need a subscription to use a sentence list?
- Can a gift recipient pause their subscription?
- Your app is being developed, what can I do with the materials I just bought?
- How much will the app cost once it's released?
- See all 8 articles
Language Learning with the Fluent Forever App
- Which languages will be available at the start?
- How does the app teach grammar? Are there specific grammar lessons?
- Can I use a custom keyboard (Hebrew, Cree, Arabic, etc.) with the app?
- Can I add videos to my flashcards?
- Can I combine my language classes with the Fluent Forever App?
- What’s the difference between the Fluent Forever Awesome Word Lists and the new Sentence Lists?
- See all 13 articles
How Does the Fluent Forever App Work?
- How do I use the app on a day by day basis?
- How can I achieve my daily goal of creating/learning "x" amount of cards?
- Are pronunciation videos in the beta, and how do I view them?
- Can I use the app on a tablet?
- Can I use the app on my Mac desktop?
- Will the app change how I make cards?
- See all 13 articles
The Fluent Forever App FAQs
- Why are you using 'Bing' for your image searches?
- Why can I only review 10 cards?
- Does Fluent Forever own the pictures I upload to the app?
- What's the 'web app' and does it run on mobiles or only desktops?
- Will the app teach the IPA?
- Will you be able to type in your answers to check your spelling in the spelling cards?
- See all 15 articles
Increase pledge, create portal account, give gift subscription, add second user or language...
Kickstarter and Indiegogo FAQs
- How to get my book that comes with my pledge if I live outside of the U.S?
- Bookshout FAQ
- How do I make an account on the Portal (https://fluent-forever.app/)?
- When will the gift and family codes be available?
- How do I add a second language and more app access to my pledge?
- When will the fundraising campaign and the beta start?
- See all 13 articles
Information on products, ordering, and accessing your materials.
Product, Ordering, and Access FAQs
- Do you have plans to make more pronunciation trainers?
- Can I learn a language with the pronunciation trainer alone?
- How do I add the products I ordered to my online user account?
- Can I share my trainer with my husband/wife/kids?
- How many products are there for each language?
- Which version should I order?
- See all 8 articles
Download and install the trainer, get started, the trainer vs. the app, create minimal pairs...
Fluent Forever Pronunciation Trainers - FAQs
- Why can't I get my trainer to work in Anki?
- What is the intent of the last set of cards in the trainers?
- What's the best way to integrate pronunciation practice using a Fluent Forever pronunciation trainer?
- What's the best way to find and record minimal pairs for a language without pronunciation trainers, like Khmer?
- If I'm not a native English speaker, can I use the pronunciation trainers?
- Should I focus solely on pronunciation and then move onto vocabulary?
- See all 21 articles
Answers to questions and further information related to our word lists.
Fluent Forever Word Lists - FAQs
- Can I use my old word list with the new app?
- When is the best time to start my own cards for vocabulary?
- Am I supposed to remember every word of the fill-in-the-blank I used when I created the card?
- What’s with the northern and southern versions in the Latin American Spanish word list?
- When I'm forgetting older cards, what do I do?
- How can I save multisearch shortcuts on a computer
- See all 34 articles
You've mastered the sounds and learned the words, now you are onto grammar.
Learning Grammar FAQs
- How do you get the gist of something without translation or a word of English in a flashcard?
- I'm an intermediate learner, how do I improve my grammar?
- How can I learn phrasal verbs?
- How do I best learn verb conjugations?
- Learning the difference between verbs that require à or de after them
- Do you have any tips for learning verb tenses?
- See all 9 articles
Answers and thoughts about language learning in general.
Language Learning FAQs
- How to join the exclusive Fluent Forever Language Learning Community
- Why is the IPA symbol of a minimal pair sometimes the same in both instances, while the sound is different?
- What do you mean by fluency?
- How should I incorporate a tutor into my language learning?
- How long does it take to get through the pronunciation trainer?
- I’m trying to use Rosetta Stone alongside your method. Is this OK?
- See all 33 articles
Answers to language specific questions we have received.
Language Specific Support
Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin)
Answers and guides to help you use and troubleshoot Anki with Fluent Forever.
Anki FAQs and How To Guides
- Using Multiple Model Decks
- Adding Spelling Tests to Cards
- Basic Anki guide
- How to solve backwards flashcards or an incorrect display of the cards in the Anki model deck?
- How do I solve the merging conflict when I sync Anki with AnkiWeb for the first time?
- How to use the pronunciation trainer for your Android phone?
- See all 17 articles
Our most frequently asked questions, answered.
For the installation of our Official Beta we will need to use a beta tool called HockeyApp because we are not quite ready to launch in the app stores yet. Since HockeyApp is not the usual way you’re used to downloading an app onto your s...
Download and manual link We have parted with the installation of HockeyApp and have this awesome direct download link available: https://help.fluent-forever.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019176071-Fluent-Forever-Official-Beta-App-Installation...
At the moment, what you have access to is the Fluent Forever beta. This version is for testing and bug fixing purposes mostly. We are still creating all the content for all languages promised. As we finish them, even in part, we will add...
We currently have multiple phases planned for language support. We currently have full support for Spanish (Latin American & Castilian), French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, German, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Korean. Following that, ...
Our Official Beta app provides the basic tools you need to get learning, but it doesn’t yet have a lot of guidance in terms of showing you what to do with each day of study. We’re working on that as fast as we can (along with a bajillion...